As the darkness deepens o'er us, lo, eternal stars arise. — "Now on Land and Sea Descending," Hymn 47 in Singing the Living Tradition
This session introduces Unit 3 and the theme, "We wonder." Religious educator Sophia L. Fahs said that contact with the natural world is one of the 12 main types of experiences connected with natural religious development in young children. This session guides children to celebrate the beauty of stars and to experience the mystery and awe stars prompt in us.
This session will help preschoolers:
- Explore the beauty of stars and connect it to their church experience
- Experience the Chalice Children group as safe and caring
- Feel a growing sense of belonging to and identity with a Unitarian Universalist congregation.
- Experience a sense of wonder about stars and the night sky
- Express their sense of wonder through song, movement, and art
- Understand that wondering about stars is an experience we all share.