Alternate Activity 1: Hosting the Family Snack Party
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Prepared snacks, decorated snack table, and chairs for both adults and children
- Decorated snack table
- Hand sanitizer or access to hand-washing facilities
- Family jigsaw puzzle from Session 11
- Optional: Digital camera or smartphone
- Optional: Games appropriate for children of different ages, such as the Memory Match Game (Session 5), puzzles, or playing cards
Preparation for Activity
- Optional: Set up an activity area with games, puzzles, etc. This is an especially good idea if siblings of various ages have been invited.
Description of Activity
Chalice Children families enjoy a snack together that the children helped to prepare.
As families arrive, invite them to the snack table. If there are more people than you have room for at the table, invite people to use different seating areas in the room. Serve the special snack you've prepared. While you're eating, invite the preschoolers to introduce their families to the others.
When people have finished eating, play the game "Find a Friend at Church" with the children and their families.
Point out the special jigsaw puzzle the group made in Session 11. Invite families to have their preschoolers show them the depiction of their family in the puzzle.
At the end of the Snack Party, say, in these words or your own:
Thank you for coming to our Family Snack Party! As Chalice Children, we celebrate all of our families and welcome the differences in our families. We believe that love is what makes us families.