Alternate Activity 2: Social Justice Project
Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Optional: Microphone (preferably cordless)
Preparation for Activity
- Familiarize yourself with the social justice projects of your congregation or of nearby UU congregations.
Description of Activity
Invite participants to plan a social justice project together-one in which they can build time for spiritual reflection. You can approach this discussion from many angles. Suggested questions for discussion are:
- What kind of project would meet a need in our community?
- What kind of project would be new to you, and might even take you out of your comfort zone?
- What organizations and projects do we know of that we could get involved with? (List ideas on newsprint.)
- How could the project ideas we've listed provide opportunities for spiritual deepening?
- Which project ideas are you the most interested in?
- Are we headed toward consensus on a project we might do together?
- What next steps do we need to take to make it happen?
If the group agrees on a project, ensure that someone (or a group of people) takes responsibility for making it happen.
Including All Participants
You may wish to pass a cordless microphone during the discussion so that participants can hear one another better.