Set aside time for journaling, reflection, prayer, and/or meditation, using these focus questions:
- When have you acted with compassion toward someone else, with the understanding that your action was the "right" thing to do? What were the circumstances? What questions or possibilities did you entertain before choosing to act?
- What motivates you to help others?
- What is the difference between what you might do for a friend and what you might do for a stranger? Can you expand your own circle of compassion?
- How do you determine what is the compassionate response in a given set of circumstances? How do you stay in relationship with another when acting out of compassion?
- Do you see acting with compassion and respecting relationship as choices or skills related to cultural norms or expectations for your gender? In what ways does a lens of gender add a new perspective to your understanding of ethics?