Alternate Activity 2: Looking at Outcomes - Ethical Eating
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Workshop 2, Handout 1, UUA Statement of Conscience on Ethical Eating
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Workshop 2, Handout 1, UUA Statement of Conscience on Ethical Eating for all participants.
Description of Activity
Distribute the handout. Invite participants to read the statement, particularly paragraphs 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8, and note the utilitarian ethical arguments that underlie the statement. If you investigated this statement as part of the workshop on Kantian ethics, explore how both frameworks are represented in this statement. Ask:
On what authority do the utilitarian assertions rest?
- Which of these arguments is compelling to you as a person striving to live a moral life?
- What actions are you called to by the arguments advanced in this statement of conscience?