Activity time: 40 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Participants' copies of Handout 2, Multicultural Competence Worksheet
- Handout 3, The Fort Worth Incident
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Handout 3 for all participants.
Description of Activity
Distribute Handout 3. Invite participants to read the first two sections, stopping at the Recommendations. Ask participants if they have any prior knowledge of the incident described. Invite any comments and feedback on the story.
- What would have made this situation play out differently?
- What multicultural skills or competencies might have made a positive difference?"
Encourage participants to use Handout 2 as a lens to help examine the issues and to observe how multicultural competence-and the lack of it-is reflected in the way the situations developed in Fort Worth. Record key points of the discussion on newsprint. Allow about 20 minutes for this discussion.
Note that the Special Review Commission report includes a number of learnings and recommendations for moving forward. Invite participants to read that section of the handout.
- How are these recommendations similar to points raised in our discussion of skills and competencies that could have made a difference in this situation?
- How are they different?
- What insights have you gained from examining this incident and report?