Communicating Changes to Bylaws
Bylaws changes require approval by the congregation in a meeting of the whole. Like any significant change, changes to bylaws should be communicated as clearly as possible with lots of opportunity for questions and comments.
Possible communication practices include:
- Informing the congregation when a bylaws task force is convened and why.
- Share what materials (e.g. books) they are studying.
- Provide a side-by-side outline of all of the changes with an explanation for each change.
- Schedule informal congregational conversations for members to ask questions and make suggestions.
- Schedule a more-formal informational meeting after the final draft is created. Advertise it as the last opportunity to suggest revisions before the congregational meeting where the vote will be taken to adopt the revisions as a whole.