Salary Recommendations for Congregational Staff
The UUA provides Salary Recommendations to assist you in offering appropriate pay to your employees. They should guide, but not limit, congregational compensation decisions. Our intent is to help you attract and retain excellent staff, as well to urge you to be a faithful employer—one whose compensation and other staffing practices align with your mission and values as a Unitarian Universalist congregation.
For the 2017-2018 program year, we left our Salary Recommendations and Geo Indices at 2016-2017 levels; read about our “catch-up year (PDF).” The Salary Recommendations for 2018-2019 available below reflect a 4% increase for all positions from 2016-2017 levels.
Guidance for Using UUA Salary Recommendations
- Guide to Salary Recommendations (PDF): This resource will assist you in understanding and using the Salary Recommendations in your specific context.
- Strategies for Setting Staff Salaries: View these slides from a webinar presented by Jan Gartner. Topics include Compensation Program history, development of Salary Recommendations, using Recommendations, complications and challenges, and sources of support.
Salary Recommendations and Related Resources
- Capsule Job Descriptions (PDF) are brief job summaries for common staff positions in UU congregations, for use with UUA Salary Recommendations. Use the best-fit capsule description for each position, regardless of the job title in your congregation.
- Geo Index Listings
- UUA Salary Recommendations for 2018-2019 Although all of our salary guidelines are consistent with the federal minimum wage, it is possible that some salaries do not meet all state and local wage laws. Please be aware of minimum or living wage laws in your area.
- UUA Salary Recommendations for 2017-2018
- Salary Recommendations for Geo Index 1 (PDF)
- Salary Recommendations for Geo Index 2 (PDF)
- Salary Recommendations for Geo Index 3 (PDF)
- Salary Recommendations for Geo Index 4 (PDF)
- Salary Recommendations for Geo Index 5 (PDF)
- Salary Recommendations for Geo Index 6 (PDF)
- Salary Recommendations for Geo Index 7 (PDF)