Welcome and Full Inclusion: Assessing Sexual Health
Building Block #7
The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) began its commitment to being a community that welcomed and affirmed gay, lesbian, and bisexual people as early as 1987, and in 1990 it published the first version of "The Welcoming Congregation Handbook." Since that time, there have been expanded efforts to fully include lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people, with almost 700 congregations having gone through a Welcoming Congregation process and receiving recognition from the UUA. However, many congregations have done little to address the needs of bisexual and transgender persons, few address the needs of LGBT youth, and a majority does not have a committee or task force with responsibilities for this area.
The inclusive congregation creates an environment where LGBT persons and families with LGBT members feel integrated within the congregation; are comfortable worshipping together and showing affection to one another; feel comfortable speaking freely about their sexual orientation, gender identity, and other aspects of their lives and experience; know they and their children can come to their clergy and youth leaders for compassionate, informed pastoral care and do not hesitate to invite other LGBT people to worship services and congregational activities; "see" themselves as active members of the community; and "hear" their lives and issues addressed in congregational worship, preaching, and teaching.
To be completed by:
- Congregation Minister(s)
- Social Justice Chair
- Chair/Members of the Welcoming Congregation Committee/ Rainbow Task Force
Welcome and Full Inclusion: Assessment Checklist
- Acting Out Loud
- 10 Things Your Congregation Can Do To Become More Welcoming to LGBT People from the UUA's LGBT Ministries
- The UUA's Welcoming Congregation Program
- Living the Welcoming Congregation
For Additional Assistance
- UUA's LGBT Ministries
Congregational Justice Administrator
lgbt [at] uua [dot] org
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Welcome and Equality
- Interweave Continental
- Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies in Religion and Ministry, Pacific School of Religion: Media/Resource Library
- Human Rights Campaign Religion and Faith Program: Resources and Publications
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force's Institute for Welcoming Resources
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.