Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Photographs from the first round of Family Event photographs
- Copies of Handout 1, Evaluating Photographs
Preparation for Activity
- Photocopy Handout 1, Evaluating Photographs, for all participants
Description of ActivityEngage participants in a discussion of the Family Event photographs. If they reviewed and critiqued photos during the Welcome activity, discuss the images in terms of what works and what does not. If participants have not yet reviewed and critiqued the photos, share the photos and distribute Handout 1, Evaluating Photographs. Use the following prompts as needed:
- How should we evaluate the photos?
- Did these evaluation sheets help?
- What makes some photographs better than others?
- What do we see and not see in a photo?
- How is a photo similar to and different from a story? (If it does not come up, you may want to remind participants that both photographers and storytellers are interpreting and representing something to others.)