Activity 2: What Do You Know about Other Religions?
Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Religious Literacy Quiz
- Leader Resource 1, Religious Literacy Quiz Answers
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Handout 1 for all participants.
- Print Leader Resource 1. Then, research any of the quiz answers that are unfamiliar to you, and jot down any more information you learn, to share with the group.
Description of Activity
Participants begin building their religious literacy and receive resources for future inquiry.
Distribute Handout 1, Religious Literacy Quiz, and pens or pencils. Say, in you own words:
Take a few minutes to answer as many of these questions as you can. This is not a contest, and it is possible you may not know any of the answers! Seeing how you do will help us figure out what you need to learn.
Give participants a few minutes-requesting silence, if needed-to write their answers. When participants finish, read the questions aloud, one at a time, soliciting answers from participants. Use Leader Resource 1, Religious Literacy Quiz Answers, to share any correct answers the youth do not offer. After each answer (or only for select questions, if you have less time), ask the "Follow-Up Question" and discuss with participants; the follow-up material demonstrates the relevance of religious literacy to everyday interactions. Once you have discussed all answers, facilitate a short, final debrief with questions such as:
- What surprised you the most?
- What are you excited about looking up or learning when you get home?