Activity 4: Lucky Money
Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story, Sam and the Lucky Money
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Writing and drawing paper, and pens and markers
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story so you will be able to present it. Make copies for all participants.
- Recruit volunteer readers and provide them with the story text. It is a playful story, so invite them to add a bit of dramatic flair to the telling.
- Write the following questions on newsprint, and post:
- What is special money and what are its implications in your household?
- Do you have a lucky money story?
- Do you feel you have choices when it comes to spending money?
- Prepare appropriate and comfortable spaces for participants to write or draw.
Description of Activity
Noting that sometimes there is wisdom in a children’s story that helps adults too, distribute copies of the story Sam and the Lucky Money. Have volunteers read the story aloud. Then indicate the paper and writing and drawing implements. Invite participants to write or draw thoughts and reflections in response to the questions posted on newsprint.
Allow five minutes for journal writing, and then invite participants to move into pairs and share their reflections. Give pairs six minutes.
Use the chime to keep track of time. At the three minute mark, indicate that the second person in the group should be speaking. Sound the chime again one minute before the end of the allotted time. Regather the group and ask each pair to share one “aha” from their discussion.