Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 2, Schedule for Spirit of Life
- Optional: Cordless microphone
Preparation for Activity
- Review the description of the activity. Familiarize yourself with the content you will deliver so you can speak to participants in a way that feels comfortable and genuine for you.
- Customize Handout 2 according to your congregation's plan for the series, and then prepare a copy.
- If you are using a microphone, make sure it is working properly.
Description of Activity
Offer an introduction to this workshop and Unitarian Universalist spirituality. Ask:
- What are some ways you understand Unitarian Universalist spirituality?
After engaging participants in a brief discussion, describe the workshop series. Spirit of Life helps participants:
- Become familiar with a broad and inclusive definition of spirituality-one that includes those who do and don't affirm the existence of spirit or deity
- Evaluate experiences of the spiritual turning points in their lives and spiritual experiences in day-to-day living
- Learn methods to be attentive to one's spirituality
- Consider the value of spiritual practice, in any variety of forms, as a means to deepen faith and enhance the quality of everyday living
- Participate in the spiritual practices of speaking and listening with respect
- Explore a vocabulary of reverence drawn from the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook Singing the Living Tradition and its supplement, Singing the Journey
- Articulate thoughts, feelings, and longings in authentic ways, and understand the spiritually healing value of such authenticity
- Explore possibilities for deepening experiences of spirituality for oneself and for others in the context of one's Unitarian Universalist congregation.
Distribute your version of Handout 2.
Invite questions about the workshop or the series.