Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copies of Handout 2: UU Trivia Hunt ( one per participant) (see Preparation)
- Leader Resource 2: UU Trivia Hunt Answer Key (see Preparation)
- Pens or pencils
- Clock, watch, or timer
- Bell (loud enough to be heard throughout the building)
- A variety of small treats, such as chocolate kisses (at least one per participant). See "Including All Participants," below for ideas.
Preparation for Activity
- Download Handout 2, UU Trivia Hunt, to your computer. Customize it by choosing, adding, or deleting questions. Select questions that your group will find challenging, yet will be able to answer using resources found within the congregation's building. Make a printout or photocopy for each participant.
- Download Leader Resource 2, UU Trivia Hunt Answer Key, and customize it to correspond with the handout. Be sure to fill in the answers to questions that refer to your specific congregation.
- Arrange for participants to have access to various rooms in the congregation's building, such as the library, the sanctuary, and religious education classrooms, where they can find answers to the questions. Ask permission from appropriate staff members and departments, and find out whether any rooms will be in use by other groups during the workshop. If certain areas will be off-limits, arrange to place resources such as UU history books, religious education curricula, Singing the Living Tradition, and the UUA directory in an accessible area.
Description of Activity
Divide the group into two teams of couples, with about the same number of people on each team. Give each person a copy of your customized handout and a pen or pencil.
Explain the rules of the game:
Work with your team members to answer as many of the questions as you can in the next 20 minutes.
You can go anywhere in the building. [Or, if certain areas are off-limits, clearly identify where participants may and may not go.] Feel free to use any books or other information sources you find.
I'll ring the bell when you have five minutes left, again when you have two minutes, and again when time is up.
Start the trivia hunt, keeping track of the time and ringing the bell as described above.
When time is up, regather the group. Ask each team how many answers they found. Go through the questions and provide the correct answers.
When all questions have been answered, award everyone with a treat.
Including All Participants
Providing a variety of treats, including some nonfood items, will allow participants with food sensitivities or other special dietary needs to choose a treat they can enjoy.