Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint sheet with prepared list of questions (see Preparation)
- Writing paper (at least one sheet per person)
- Pens or pencils
- Tables or hard surfaces for writing
Preparation for Activity
- Write the following questions on a sheet of newsprint:
- How do, or how might, your personal connections with others inspire you to work for social justice?
- How do, or how might, emotional connections with strangers inspire you to work for social justice?
- How can the emotional connection of your relationship draw you into deeper connection with people around the world? How does, or how might, that foster work for justice?
- Set up tables, or find books or other hard surfaces for writing.
Description of Activity
This activity is designed to broaden the discussion of "connection" to encompass social justice.
Distribute writing paper and pens or pencils. Display the list of questions that you prepared in advance. Invite participants to spend some time silently reflecting on these questions and writing responses to them. You may wish to give them some examples, such as:
- Personal connections: "Because I care deeply about my mother-in-law, who has multiple sclerosis, I have written letters to elected officials about health care reform and wheelchair accessibility requirements."
- Emotional connections with strangers: "I resolved to take action on the situation in Sudan when I saw an interview with a young girl from Darfur. I felt a strong empathetic connection with her and I knew I had to do something."
After allowing ten minutes for solo reflection, invite participants to re-gather in the large group for discussion. Acknowledge that some individuals and couples are more active in working for social justice than others, and that is all right.
Invite discussion by asking:
- Would anyone like to share some of the ways that personal relationships or emotional connections with strangers have inspired you to work for social justice?
- What are some of the ways you identified in which the emotional connection of your relationship can draw you into deeper connection with people around the world?
- How are love and justice related in the scenarios you described?
- How would you like to use your love to create more justice in the world?