Permission forms are one form of communication with parents and guardians. Parents/guardians should understand the components of a youth program including:
- What kind of incidents they will or will not be informed about regardless of the desire of their youth.
- Any material or activities that could require their permission.
- The rules and supervision within the program.
Permission forms can and should address:
- Medical information.
- Whether youth may self-administer prescribed medication.
- Permission to treat in case of medical emergency.
- Liability release.
- Rules and behavioral expectations.
- Parental responsibility in cases where youth do not follow expectations.
For longer trips, permission forms should also address:
- Whether youth may self-administer specific over the counter medication in case of headaches, fever, sunburn, stomach ache, etc.
Samples Permission and Medical Release Forms
Return to the 14 Recommended Practices for Safety in Youth Ministry.