UUA Presidential Candidates' Forum, General Assembly 2008
General Assembly 2008 Event 4059
On Saturday, June 28, 2008, the two declared candidates for UUA President spoke at a live forum at General Assembly. Rev. Dr. Laurel Hallman and Rev. Peter Morales offered opening and closing statements, and in between they answered ten questions chosen in advance by moderators Paul Rickter, UUA Secretary, and Rev. John Gibbons, Chair of the UUA Election Campaign Practices Committee. Responses were limited to three minutes each. A coin toss determined which candidate would speak first, and after the opening remarks, they alternated the order in which they answered each of the ten questions.
The questions asked by the moderators were as follows:
- What would be your top priorities as you begin your administration and looking back in four or eight years, what would constitute a successful presidency?
- What is your strategy for growing Unitarian Universalism, and do you have an Elevator Speech?
- Tell us your understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of policy governance and how you understand the relationship between the president and the board of trustees.
- On the topic of anti-racism and anti-oppression, what experiences have you had that help you deeply understand the mindset and values of another culture? Are there practical things you will do to help congregations take authentic steps of transformation?
- President Sinkford and the Board have taken steps to focus the UUA on congregations and there has been a simultaneous reduction of the number of independent affiliates. What are your thoughts on those changes?
- What are your thoughts on youth ministry and young adult ministry? Are there actions you would take regarding these ministries within the UUA?
- What is the value of international work in the future of Unitarian Universalism?
- Tell us what is at the center of your personal faith.
- Tell us about an innovative, high performing team that you have built or were part of. How would you create an environment for innovation within your leadership team?
- It is evident that the presidency of the UUA is a very stressful position. Do you have the courage to be lonely?