Search Engine Optimization for Your Website: a Brief Guide
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is about making sure your pages are well-formed:
- for the search engines like Google which "spider" or "index" your site, and
- for the human beings who will see a page full of search results—and hopefully click on links to your pages.
SEO is a large and complex field, but keeping some of the basics in mind can help tremendously.
First, it's important to note that search engines these days do a pretty good job of showing search results relevant to what an individual is looking for. There's no need to try to "trick" the search engines into ranking your pages higher than they would naturally, and in fact, employing devious techniques will hurt you in the long run. Review "10 Google Dont's" for some sure-fired ways to hurt your search ranking.
SEO in Brief
- Use Accurate & Precise Titles
- Make Shorter Pages
- Improve Your URL Structure
- Include Key Words in Your Text
- Consider Meta Descriptions
- Using Links to Improve Your Ranking
- Beginner's Guide to SEO
- Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide (PDF, 32 pages)
- Good Web Site Design for Web Site Optimization
- The Perils of SEO (make sure your content actually helps people when they do find you)
For more information contact email@example.com.