As UUA Staff, it's not uncommon for us to be contacted and asked for a something, just anything, on a topic. In these cases the leader in question has no idea where to look. The answer is often on the UUA website, or among your fellow congregational leaders. Because we know that some congregations change leaders in December and January and because we know that those who change leadership in the fall may just now be feeling that they need to find more resources, we thought this was a great time to remind you what's available.
The Central East Regional (CER) has a primary contact staff system to ensure our congregations know who to reach out to for assistance. Every CER congregation and community has a UUA Staff Member who serves as your Primary Contact for all services of the region and the UUA. This is someone with whom you can build a close, working relationship, who will have an intimate knowledge of your congregation's blessings and challenges, and can be proactive in helping you to share those blessings and meet those challenges. Your Primary Contact can help you to navigate all the support and opportunities available to your congregation. Find your primary contact.
Resources for Leaders
- LeaderLab - LeaderLab is our comprehensive online library of leadership resources for congregational health and vitality. Need a quick answer? Use our searchable quick-reference library! Take A Video Tour (YouTube 5:05). You can also find upcoming webinars here. Several UUA offices collaborate on this resource, so the topics include things like congregations as employers and stewardship.
- Board Member Training - Use this free 12-Part training to onboard new board members, to use as a monthly board in-service training, or for a quick reference during board meetings.
- Core Leadership Trainings - Every leader needs basic skills such as healthy communication, systems thinking, spiritual grounding and an understanding of the dynamics of conflict. Each of these classes go deeper and deeper to help develop these skills. (“Centered Leadership” 1 & 2 are the equivalent of a week-long leadership school.) Online and on demand. Cost $30/each.
- WorshipWeb - Need a bit of help finding a reading or chalice lighting for that service you are creating? WorshipWeb is a collection of worship elements that anyone can use. All service elements are included and there are a few full services as well. You can search by topic or keyword.
- UU Institute - This is our online learning institute. On-demand courses, some free, others for a low fee, are available. You can use the classes for your personal leadership development, to run a committee or team training, such as pastoral care or worship, or create an adult RE class.
CER Email Lists
The Central East Region runs a google group for each neighboring congregation group (formerly known as clusters). We add all board members, committee chairs and staff who we have email addresses for, but anyone can join the group from your congregation's neighboring congregation group page on our website. Additional groups exist for Treasurers and those who work with money in congregations and congregational presidents.
Please help the UUA and the Central East Region stay in touch with the leaders of your congregation. We need YOU to update your leadership information on my.uua.org. This is the same place you update your UU World lists. Need help? Let us know or check out the webpage with the details. Please note that you can make these updates at any time. Many congregations hold elections in the spring or late fall, but appoint new committee chairs in summer or early fall. Each event should prompt a review of what is listed in my.uua.org to ensure it is up to date. Staffing changes should also be listed in this location. Making these updates ensures that your folks get the necessary information and resources from the UUA and the region based on their role.
We hope this quick review of resources help your leaders and staff find what you are looking for to finish your church year.