Apply for Recognition
In order for a congregation to be recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) as a Welcoming Congregation, it must go through a Welcoming Congregation Program (learn how to run the program).
The requirements for recognition as a Welcoming Congregation are:
- Measurable achievements in the areas of education, congregational life, and community outreach, using the Welcoming Congregation Guidelines and Action Steps as a guide.
- A congregational vote in affirmation of being recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association as a Welcoming Congregation.*
Applying for Recognition
When your congregation has met the above requirements, any representative of the congregation may send the office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Ministries (LGBTQ Ministries) the following information:
- Name of congregation and mailing address
- Name, phone number, and email address of the person submitting the application
- Date and results of congregational vote to apply for recognition from the Unitarian Universalist Association as a Welcoming Congregation
A summary of the work done in service of becoming more welcoming to sexual and gender minorities, particularly in the three areas described in the Action Steps: Education, Congregational Life, and Community Outreach. Ideally, this summary will include:
- A description and summary of your educational work
- Additional programming your congregation has offered
- A description and summary of your work related to congregational life
- A description and summary of your community outreach
- Specific plans for continuing this work into the future
Send your application to: email@example.com. Please allow one month for review. Once your application is reviewed, we will contact you to schedule an interview with your Welcoming Congregation committee. NOTE: Digital applications only accepted. Print applications will be returned.