In February 2020, the UUA shifted from Compensation Guidelines (salary and benefit recommendations) to Compensation Standards. While we continue to provide recommendations for salaries and benefits, the new UUA Compensation Standards also include legal requirements related to pay and benefits administration. Complying with laws related to compensation is foundational to right relationship between employer and employee.
The three components of the UUA Compensation Standards are described below, with links to related pages and resources.
1. Legal Requirements for Pay and Benefits Administration
These Requirements Checklists name essential legal must-do's related to pay and benefits administration for which we hold congregations responsible.
- Pay Administration Checklist (Word) (PDF): pay administration requirements, including links to further information
- Benefits Administration Checklist (Word) (PDF): benefits administration requirements, including links to further information
Our Benefits Tune-up Workbook (PDF) (Word) walks you through the basics of administering UUA benefits according to Plan requirements. Making use of the Workbook will enable you to complete the Benefits Administration Checklist with ease.
2. UUA Salary Recommendations
UUA Salary Recommendations, based on national wage surveys, aid congregations in paying their employees justly and equitably. Paying well helps employers attract and retain quality staff.
- Salary Recommendations for Congregational Staff: salary charts and related resources for congregational positions
- Salary Recommendations for Interns
3. UUA Benefit Recommendations
Benefits are a key component of employee compensation. Congregations adopt UUA Benefit Recommendations to aid in the recruitment and retention of excellent staff, as well as to demonstrate their commitment to the short- and long-term material well-being of their employees.
- UUA Benefit Recommendations: detailed recommendations, with explanations and related resources
- Compensation Worksheet: to help you budget for benefits, based on our recommendations
- Benefits Summary Chart (PDF): brief overview of eligibility, enrollment windows, and congregational requirements for UUA benefit plans