While we continue to provide numerical recommendations for salaries and benefits, the new UUA Compensation Standards also include legal requirements related to pay and benefits administration as well as process guidance to help ensure that compensation decisions are grounded in equity and transparency.
Legal Requirements for Pay and Benefits Administration
These Requirements Checklists name essential legal must-do's related to pay and benefits administration for which we hold congregations responsible.
- Pay Administration Checklist (Word) (PDF): pay administration requirements, including links to further information
- Benefits Administration Checklist (Word) (PDF): benefits administration requirements, including links to further information
Our Benefits Tune-up Workbook walks you through the basics of administering UUA benefits according to Plan requirements. Making use of the Workbook will enable you to complete the Benefits Administration Checklist with ease.
Compensation Process Guidance
Your compensation policies and practices are a way of living your values. We provide process-related recommendations and resources to help you ground your compensation decisions in equity and transparency.
UUA Salary and Benefit Recommendations
For non-clergy hires, please review our comprehensive Guide to Setting Terms of Employment.
- Congregational Salary Program: revised salary guidance, introduced in Fall 2022, with a focus on process and values, along with recommended salary ranges by size, geo index, and job level
- Salary recommendations for Interns are now included as part of the Internship Manual, available thru the Internship Clearinghouse.
Benefits are a key component of employee compensation. Congregations adopt UUA Benefit Recommendations to aid in the recruitment and retention of excellent staff, as well as to demonstrate their commitment to the short- and long-term material well-being of their employees.
- UUA Benefit Recommendations: detailed recommendations, with explanations and related resources
- Compensation Worksheet (Excel): to help you budget for benefits, based on our recommendations
- Benefits Summary Chart (PDF): brief overview of eligibility, enrollment windows, and congregational requirements for UUA benefit plans