Prevent Electrical Fires with Inspections, Care

The most common cause of fires in church buildings is electrical, says Church Mutual, the insurance company that insures a majority of Unitarian Universalist congregations. Electrical fires can be caused by faulty wiring, electrical arcs, and overloaded circuits. The wiring in many older buildings is not adequate for loads such as computers, air conditioners, organs, sound systems, and other equipment.

Church Mutual has the following recommendations:

  • Prevent electrical fires by having building wiring inspected by a qualified contractor, not overloading circuits, and turning off equipment when not in use.
  • Inform the whole congregation about the danger of fire.
  • Do a quick inspection of your building monthly, looking for places where fires might start.

For tips on other risks that congregations face, visit the Church Mutual website.

For more information contact interconnections@uua.org.

Like, Share, Print, or Bookmark