Support At GA
Support At GA
Support At GA
June 1, 2015
Your GA Youth Caucus Chaplains want you to know about the following resources. The Chaplain Team also has an on-call cell phone number that will be distributed before GA begins.
Hi everyone!We are your Youth Caucus peer chaplains, Colleen and Hope, and we are so excited to meet you in just a little over a month in Portland! We, along with the rest of the Youth Caucus staff, are looking forward to working with all of you to foster a spiritually deep and caring community during our time together at General Assembly. Whether you’ve been to GA before or not, it can (and probably will) at times be both exciting and overwhelming. That’s perfectly normal and we’re here to support you throughout this incredibly immersive experience! Here are some tips and resources that you can utilize at GA: A chaplain is someone for you to talk to. A sort of spiritually equipped peer mediator. We have training in listening, crisis intervention and non-directive helping. We are here to provide you with an outlet for feelings and a compassionate presence. We won’t give you advice to solve a problem, but rather we will listen to you and help you come up with solutions yourself! There are also amazing adult chaplains for the Youth Caucus! Their names are Kimberly and Steven and they’re super wonderful and fun and they would be happy to talk to you at any time. You can call or text us anytime at GA at (503) 880-6093. This phone number will be activated on June 24th. Come to a chaplain if. . .
- you’re feeling lonely
- you don’t know how to handle a situation
- you're really excited about all of the rad things going on at GA
- you're having difficulties with another GA attendee
- you have feelings about a workshop
- you want to talk about your cat that died
- something scary just happened
- you’re super pumped and high fives rock!
- you’re uncomfortable with something at GA
- you have a conflict that you'd like us to bring up with the rest of the Youth Caucus Staff
- you miss your parent/friend/significant other/banjo
- you’re worried about somebody
- you just want someone to talk to
- play a board game!
- draw a picture!
- write something to put on the Good Deeds Wall or the Meetup Board!
- meet up for a meal!
- check in with a chaplain!
- find new friends!
- GA is a marathon not a sprint, pace yourself
- don’t feel like you have to do everything, but try some new things!
- drink water, eat, take showers
- check in with your sponsor, let them know if there's anything they can do to help better your GA experience
- let the Youth Caucus Staff know if there's anything they can do to help improve your experience at GA
- take time to sleep! Programming starts early and ends late and we want to be energized throughout!
- talk to someone post-programming to de-brief