You Are Here
Celebrating Christmas Eve / Christmas
Christmas Eve is December 24, and is frequently celebrated in an evening service. It often includes “lessons and carols” and sometimes a story that conveys the spirit of Christmas. Some Unitarian Universalist congregations include a candle-lighting ritual in the service, in which the church lights are dimmed and people pass a flame from candle to candle until everyone is holding a lit candle.
Unlike many Christian faiths, Unitarian Universalists rarely hold special services on Christmas Day, December 25.
Faith Without Borders
For everything there is a season—a time to die and a time to be born. With the arrival of winter’s low dark sky, communities around the world look to the miracle of light as a sign of rebirth and a source of hope. We celebrate the promise of new life and recommit ourselves to the protection of everyone’s right to his or her own radiant humanity.
Celebrating the winter holidays, thus, is an excellent opportunity for Unitarian Universalist (UU) congregations to express their commitment to our Sixth Principle: We covenant to affirm and promote the goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all. See Sixth Principle Resources for winter holidays.
From Tapestry of Faith Curricula
Unitarian Universalist Perspectives
- In “Ghosts of Unitarian Christmas” Doug Muder updates Charles Dickens’s A Christmas Carol. Instead of visiting Ebenezer Scrooge, the three ghosts of Christmases past, present, and future visit Ben, a crotchety UU.
- Other UU World Articles on Christmas
Words for Worship Services
- Christmas Eve Benediction
- Chalice Lightings for Advent
- Children's Christmas Sermon
- In the Darkness of the Winter
- A Christmas Prayer
- Candle Lighting on Christmas Eve
- Christmas Eve Candlelight Meditation
- Christmas Eve Night
- Christmas Eve Prayer
- Christmas Meditation
- Christmas Spirit
- Come Christmas!
- Meditation on Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - for all ages
- Meditation on Winter Celebrations
- Prayer for Christmas Eve
- Prayer of Leaves
- Prayer of the Earth
- The Moment of Magic