The health and vitality of our congregations depends in part on a good fit between a congregation and their minister. The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) helps to connect ministers searching for a position with congregations who want to find a minister.
The UUA offers information and resources to help congregants, ministers, ministerial search representatives, compensation consultants, and regional staff throughout the search process for all types of ministers: assistant, contract, developmental, interim, or settled.
Congregations seeking 3/4 or full time ministries receive support from both the UUA Transitions Office and UUA regional staff; congregations seeking ministries of less than 3/4 time receive support primarily from regional staff.
For questions about the materials or the search process, please contact the UUA Transitions Office at transitions [at] uua [dot] org.
Congregational Leaders and Ministers
These documents are essential reading for both lay leaders and for ministers.
- The Settlement Handbook (PDF, 53 pages)
The comprehensive guide to the process to call a minister for both congregations and ministers.
- Transitional Ministry Handbook (PDF, 45 pages) (Word)
The comprehensive guide for all transitional ministries. Includes sample contracts for both interim and consulting ministries. (Note—Updated April 2012 with corrected contract for interim ministries.)
- The Hire-to-Call Process (PDF, 8 pages)
Provides an outline for the process of hiring a second (or third, etc.) minister with the intent to call in the future. By Rev. Dr. Ian Evison.
- Joint Recommendations Concerning Ministerial Agreements (Word, 24 pages) (PDF, 21 pages)
Background information for all ministerial agreements and sample letters of call for settled ministries.
- Benefit Transition/Coverage Continuation Form
Courtesy of the Office of Church Staff Finances.
- Year by Year in Settlement (PDF). Graphs and explanations for recent settlement trends.
Resources here are of particular use to lay leaders shepherding their congregation through the ministerial transition.
- Ministerial Search Committee Calendar (PDF) (XLS) for settlement target dates in Winter 2014 and beyond (Revised February 2013).
- The Resource Guide for Ministerial Search Committees
An essential supplement to The Settlement Handbook for congregations.
- Compensation Calculator (Excel) (PDF)
Assists in calculating the UUA-recommended cost of ministry for any ministerial position.
- Responsible Staffing (PDF, 14 pages)
- Guide to and rationale behind the process of screening ministers. Also see President's Letter (PDF) and Responsible Staffing Forms (PDF). Companies that conduct criminal background checks:
- Guidelines for Part-time Ministry Searches (PDF)
A brief description of what the Transitions Office can offer to congregations seeking ministers for part-time (less than 3/4 time) positions.
- Watch The Interim Opportunity. Essential viewing for congregations at the beginning of their ministerial transition period.
These resources are useful for ministers in the midst of or considering a transition.
- Opportunities for Ministry
An up-to-the-minute list of all congregations publicly in transitions.
- How to Case a Church (PDF, 59 pages)
(Finding & Getting the Church of Your Choice)
The classic (3rd edition) by Peter Spilman Raible.
For more information contact email@example.com.