Governance & Management of the Unitarian Universalist Associatuon
Who Are We?
The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) is a voluntary association of autonomous, self-governing local churches and fellowships which have freely chosen to pursue common goals together. Our polity is congregational, and delegates from each congregation make Association decisions in business sessions at the annual General Assembly (GA). Between GAs, we're governed by the Board of Trustees.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is comprised of 16 elected individuals: the President (without vote), the Moderator, the Financial Advisor, 11 Trustees elected at-large, and 2 Youth Observers. View the complete list of Trustees.
- UUA Moderator and Chief Governance Officer, presides at the GA and at meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- Elected by the GA, the president is responsible for carrying out the ENDS of the association as articulated by the Board of Trustees.
- Elected by the GA, Lucia Santini Field, Financial Advisor, provides the Board of Trustees and Administration with expert advice on business and financial matters, and reports annually to the congregations on the UUA's financial condition.
- The responsibility for Board correspondence and elections lies with Rob Eller-Isaacs, Secretary.
- Denise Rimes, Vice Moderator, coordinates Board agendas, education, and deliberations.
- Christina Rivera organizes and oversees the fiduciary work of the board as its Financial Secretary.
- The Acting Chief Operating Officer, Sarah Lammert (coo [at] uua [dot] org), maintains responsibility, under the supervision of the Presidents, for the day-to-day management of the Association. She maintains close consultation with the Presidents in the formulation of policy and acts in the absence of the Presidents on the Association's behalf. She also serves as Clerk of the Board of Trustees, keeping minutes of all board meetings. The Office of the Chief Operating Officer maintains liaison with the Board of Trustees.
- Tim Brennan, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer (treasurer [at] uua [dot] org), is responsible for all of the UUA's financial affairs and oversees the UUA's annual audit and other financial reports as issued by the Financial Services staff group.
- UUA Staff Directory
- Staff Organizational Chart (PDF)
- UUA Leadership Council
Districts & Regions
Ours is an interconnected Association. Congregations are united in geographic groupings called Districts and Regions, which have their own dedicated staff and some of which have their own governance and elected officials. The Regional Leaders Group (formerly the District Presidents Association) serves as the primary advocate for districts and emerging regions within our UUA. They listen and lead, imagine and model, to realize the goals and aspirations of our Unitarian Universalist (UU) faith.
We rely upon energetic, committed, visionary UU volunteers to serve the twenty-plus committees, panels, and task forces that work with staff and the UUA Board to carry out the mission of the Association. Apply to serve! We need you.