Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Taking It Home handout
- Markers or crayons
- Preschool chalice
- Optional: Envelope, hole punch, and yarn or ribbon
Preparation for Activity
- Download and adapt Taking It Home and make a copy for each child.
- Decide whether you will invite children to leave their bears and bear beds in the meeting space or ask families to take bears and bear beds home between the Teddy Bear month sessions. You may wish to designate a place in the meeting space where the children may safely leave their bear beds and/or bears until the next time the group meets.
- Bring the "lit" preschool chalice to the activity table.
- Optional: Punch a hole in the corner of each envelope, string the yarn or ribbon through the envelope, and tie it in a loop or a bow.
Description of Activity
Keep the children in their circle, and bring over the chalice. Offer these closing words while you extinguish the chalice, and invite the children to repeat them after you:
We gather the warmth of love, [bring hands over "flame" and gather to your heart]
The light of truth, [bring hands over "flame" and gather to your heart again]
And the energy of action [bring hands over "flame" and gather to your heart again]
Into our hearts as we blow out the chalice. [blow out the "flame"]
Back into the world of do and say, [hold world in cupped hands]
Carry it forward into the dawning day. [arms overhead, hands together making the sun]
May we remember: [Name of congregation] is a place for making and being friends.
While waiting for family members to pick up their children, invite the children to decorate the handout to take home. Optional: Place the handout in the envelope with the ribbon/yarn bow as a gift to the parent(s) or caregiver(s).