Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Optional: Microphone (preferably cordless)
Preparation for Activity
- If you are not on the staff of your congregation, consult with your minister and religious educator before deciding whether to conduct this activity. Learn whether a spiritual friend program is feasible in your congregation this year, and learn about what steps it would take to gain approval and launch such a program.
Description of Activity
If the group got excited about the idea of spiritual friendships, you could spend time talking about how an intentional program could be developed in your congregation. Use these questions to focus discussion:
- How would a spiritual friendship program serve the mission or vision of the congregation?
- What needs could it help meet?
- How might it be structured?
- Would "friends" self-select or be assigned?
- What guidelines or training would help you feel confident and safe as a spiritual friend?
- What steps would need to be taken to launch such a program?
Record participants' ideas and comments on newsprint.
Including All Participants
You may wish to pass a cordless microphone during discussion so that participants can hear one another better.