UUA’s 2009 General Assembly Meets June 24-29 in Salt Lake City
The 2009 General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) will be held in Salt Lake City, UT, from Wednesday, June 24, through Sunday, June 29. More than 3,000 Unitarian Universalists (UUs) from across the country will gather at the Salt Palace Convention Center to worship, celebrate and determine policy for this liberal denomination of 1,000 congregations. The General Assembly will feature an election for a new UUA President to serve the Association for four years, replacing popular outgoing President Rev. William G. Sinkford.
As a progressive, liberal religious movement, Unitarian Universalism offers a unique and often controversial perspective on today’s most compelling social and spiritual issues, such as marriage equality, immigration reform, and environmental justice. Presentations on a wide range of topics reflect the UUA’s long-standing commitment to social justice and religious pluralism.
A complete list of General Assembly events and presentations are listed in the online program. Major highlights of the gathering include:
- Opening Celebration, featuring a full choir and a parade of hundreds of colorful congregational banners. An excellent photo opportunity. Wednesday, 8:00 p.m., at the Salt Palace Convention Center.
- “Valuing All Families: An Interfaith Community Witness (PDF),” a public interfaith rally in support of immigrant families. Participants will include UUA President Rev. William Sinkford and Utah religious leaders. 5:15 - 6:00 p.m., Friday, June 26th, 2009, at the Gallivan Center Outdoor Plaza. Open to the general public.
- “A Prom for All,” a dance celebration for the UU and Salt Lake BGLT Communities, 10 p.m. - midnight, Friday, June 26th, at the Marriott Hotel Grand Ballroom.
- “Faith and Reason: Race, Justice, and American Political Life,” the Ware Lecture by Dr. Melissa Harris-Lacewell, Associate Professor of Politics and African American Studies at Princeton University 8:30 - 9:30 p.m., Saturday, June 27th, at the Salt Palace Convention Center, Hall E.
Additional details about these programs can be found at our online GA 2009 pressroom.
Live video of major events as well as extensive online reporting will begin Wednesday, June 24. Members of the press are invited to cover events live in Salt Lake City. Press badges will be available for credentialed, professional journalists and camera/audio crew members beginning Wednesday, June 24th.
Please contact Janet Hayes, UUA Public Relations Director, as soon as possible for a press badge or to receive electronic updates on events in Salt Lake City.
Public Relations Director
(617) 948-4386 (Boston, through June 23)
(781) 964-1851 (Salt Lake City, June 24-29)
pr [at] uua [dot] org