BECAUSE Unitarian Universalists are guided by a vision of world community with peace and justice for all and are especially concerned with the survival and welfare of children worldwide;
WHEREAS, the United States embargo on Nicaragua has resulted in shortages of food, medical supplies, and clothing, and threatened the well-being of the children of Nicaragua; and
WHEREAS, a Veterans' Peace Convoy of 41 vehicles bearing thousands of dollars worth of food, medical supplies, and clothing for delivery to the children of Nicaragua was refused permission by the United States government to depart from the United States in June 1988, citing the existing embargo as a reason; and
WHEREAS, the breakdown of peace talks between the Nicaraguan government and the armed rebels known as "Contras" has led to renewed demands to Congress to renew military aid that will prolong the war and bring further suffering to the people of Nicaragua; and
WHEREAS, the President of the United States is being asked by some to pardon defendants who have been charged with illegally supplying arms to the "Contras" in violation of United States laws, and to the harm of citizens of Nicaragua;
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED: That the 1988 General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association expresses its support for:
- The mission of the Veterans' Peace Convoy;
- Using negotiation to end the war; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That the 1988 General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association expresses its opposition to:
- Any further military aid to the "Contras;"
- Any presidential pardon to defendants on trial in the Iran/Contra affair; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That the 1988 General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association calls upon its United States congregations and individual members to:
- Petition the President of the United States and the Treasury Department to allow the veterans to proceed with their convoy to Nicaragua;
- Petition their legislators to support legislation lifting the embargo against Nicaragua;
- Petition their legislators to reject any further military appropriations for the "Contras" and actively seek a negotiated settlement to the conflict in Nicaragua; and
BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED: That the 1988 General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association requests that President Schulz and his administration communicate this resolution to Unitarian Universalist congregations, the media, President Reagan and members of Congress.