Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
RESOLVED: The Unitarian Universalist Association urges the governments of the United States and Canada to take the following steps to prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons:
- Continue negotiation in the Eighteen Nation Disarmament Conference, with the addition of the People's Republic of China, for the completion of a non-proliferation treaty;
- Encourage the accession to the partial test-ban treaty of all nations not now signatories;
- Work for the extension of the partial test-ban treaty to include underground tests;
- Encourage and approve the creation of additional "nuclear-free zones" in various parts of the world;
- Continue efforts to halt and reverse the growth of the nuclear weaponry of all nations;
- Insist that all power and research reactors and separation plants be subject to International Atomic Energy Agency inspection.