Activity 1: Sharing Miracle Moments
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Newsprint with definition(s) of a miracle generated by the group in Session 1
Preparation for Activity
- Post the group’s definition(s) of a miracle the group generated in Session 1 along with any revisions made in subsequent sessions.
- Prepare to share, in a phrase or sentence, a “miracle moment” of your own.
Description of Activity
In Session 1, participants contributed examples of what they think is miraculous and crafted a working definition of “miracle.” In subsequent sessions, participants may have amended their definition. Indicate where you have posted this definition. Read it aloud or have a volunteer read it.
Invite everyone, whether or not this is their first session, to share a “miracle moment”—a time when they paid attention to something unexpected, awesome, and perhaps unexplained. To set the tone, briefly share a recent miracle moment of your own. You may wish to remind the group:
- Everyone’s ideas and experiences of miracles may be different.
- Participants may “pass.” Sharing a miracle is not required.
Thank each volunteer for their contribution. Be careful to respond to each contribution with the same level of enthusiasm.
Now reread or ask a volunteer to read the posted definition of a miracle. In light of the miracle moments participants have described, does the definition still capture the group’s understanding of miracles? Record their ideas on newsprint and save.