Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Newsprint with definition(s) of a miracle generated by the group in Session 1
Preparation for Activity
- Post the definition(s) of a miracle that the group generated in Session 1.
- Prepare to share, in a phrase or sentence, a “miracle moment” of your own.
Description of Activity
In Session 1, participants contributed examples of what they think is miraculous and crafted a working definition of “miracle.” Indicate where you have posted this definition. Read it aloud or have a volunteer read it.
Invite everyone, whether or not they were present for Session 1, to share a “miracle moment”—a time when they paid attention to something unexpected, awesome, and perhaps unexplained. To set the tone, share a recent miracle moment of your own. You may wish to remind the group:
- Everyone’s ideas and experiences of miracles may be different.
- Participants may “pass.” Sharing a miracle is not required.
Thank each volunteer for their contribution. Be careful to respond to each contribution with the same level of enthusiasm.
Now reread or ask a volunteer to read the posted definition of a miracle. In light of the miracle moments participants have described, does the definition still capture the group’s understanding of miracles? Invite participants to rework the definition. Record their ideas on newsprint and save it for the next session.