Activity 2: Story - Maya's Questions
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story, Maya's Questions
- Optional: "Maya's Questions" coloring sheet (PDF), and crayons
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story and prepare to tell it or read it aloud to the group.
- Optional: Print the coloring sheet and copy for all participants. Place coloring sheets and crayons where children can use them when invited but will not be distracted beforehand.
Description of Activity
Gather the children in a circle. Read or tell the story. Guide the discussion of the story by asking the following questions:
- Why do you think Maya listened to her sister when Annie wanted to play with her?
- Have you ever listened to one of your friends and you didn't really want to?
- Who do you turn to when you are confused about doing the right thing?
Including All Participants
Offer children the opportunity to color the illustration provided for “Maya's Questions” to engage different learning styles and to help children focus on or relate to the story. A coloring activity can be a "preview" of a story. It can work as a quiet activity to help children physically settle. You might use it afterward to help the group recall and respond to the story.