Materials for Activity
- Unruled index cards or small squares of blank paper
- A variety of materials for doodling, such as colored pencils, markers, watercolors, tempera paint, and brushes or rubber stamps and ink pads
- Optional: Magazines, scraps of paper, scissors (including left-handed scissors), and glue sticks for collage-making
Preparation for Activity
- Set out materials at one or more worktables. You may wish to place different media at separate tables - for example, make one table a "collage table."
- Optional: Make a sign that says "Doodle Table" and place it with the materials.
Description of Activity
This activity is intended for the time before the session when children arrive individually, that is, "straggle in."
Welcome participants as they arrive. Invite them to sit at the "Doodle Table" and explore a variety of artistic expression materials. Try calling the work "doodling" to keep the expectations informal and without pressure.