Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Circle of Elements mural from Session 1
- Leader Resource 1, "Passion" Circle, and tape
- Circle of Elements Mural Instructions (Session 1, Leader Resource 3)
- Closing Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 5), and basket
- Opening Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 1)
- Taking It Home handout
- Bracelets from Session 1, plus lengths of cord for any new participants
- Large beads, one per person, in red or orange
- Optional: Tea lights (one per participant), matches, a taper for lighting the tea lights, and a large ceramic or metal platter
Preparation for Activity
- Print Leader Resource 1. If you do not have a color printer, you might use bright yellow or orange paper. Cut out the circle. Find the position on the Circle of Elements Mural where you will post the "Passion" circle, by referring to Circle of Elements Mural Instructions (Session 1, Leader Resource 3).
- Print copies of Opening Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 1) and Closing Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 5). You will offer these to the children who volunteer to read opening or closing words next time the group meets, so they may choose and prepare their reading in advance. Keep copies on hand throughout the program.
- Download and adapt the Taking It Home section and copy as a handout for all participants (you may wish to email to parents as well).
- Optional: If live flame is permitted in your meeting space, set tea lights on a large platter, with taper and matches nearby.
Description of Activity
Explain that the session is almost over and the group will now work together as a community to clean the meeting space. Ask everyone to clean their own area and put away the materials they were using, then clean another area or help someone else. No one should sit in the circle until the meeting space is clean.
Gather the group in a circle. Tape the "Passion" circle (Leader Resource 1) outside the "Fire" quadrant of the Circle of Elements mural, in the position shown on Session1, Leader Resource 3. Say:
The power of fire comes from the passion inside us, the joy that comes from being able to create positive change in the world.
Invite each participant to take a bead and string it on the elastic.
Use a match to light the taper candle. Invite each participant use the taper to light a tea light. Ask the day's closing worship leader to choose a reading from the Closing Words Basket and read it aloud (or, to read aloud the reading they prepared after the previous session).
Extinguish all flames.
Ask for (and record) volunteers to lead the opening and closing readings for the next session. Offer the volunteers a copy of Session 1, Leader Resource 1, Opening Words for Basket or Session 1, Leader Resource 5, Closing Words for Basket that they may take home to choose and practice their readings. Tell them they are also welcome to choose their reading from a basket when they come next time.
You may wish to invite the opening worship volunteer to bring a symbol of fire for the centering space as well.
Invite participants to put the bracelets in the Closing Words Basket. Distribute copies of the Taking It Home handout. Thank and dismiss participants.