Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- For cards: Supplies for making Valentine's Day cards including pink, red, and white construction paper; paper doilies; hearts stickers; color markers; glue sticks, etc.
- For necklaces: Paper hearts (about 2 inches across), one for each child; yarn; colorful drinking straws (10 per child); adult scissors; a single-hole punch; and a roll of clear tape
- Trays to hold supplies at activity tables
- Black, red, or silver markers
- Paper towels, moistened
- Trash bag with liner
- Recycle bin
Preparation for Activity
- Create two stations, one for cards and one for necklaces.
- Prepare the materials to make necklaces and set them on trays two or three children can share: Cut yarn into 25-inch lengths, one for each child. Wrap one end of each length with tape to make a stiff "needle." Punch holes in the paper hearts, top center. Cut the straws into one-inch pieces, to create the love beads.
Description of Activity
The children make two Valentine's Day gifts, a necklace of love beads, and a card.
Arrange children at the two stations. At the necklace station, coach children to string some love beads on their length of yarn, then a paper heart, and finally some more love beads. Children at the card-making table will need help writing a love message on their card. Encourage the children to help with clean-up.
Including All Participants
If stringing the beads is very challenging for, help them tape a paper heart on yarn to make a necklace and leave out the love beads. Or, consider using pre-made leis; help children tape one or more hearts to the lei.