Activity 1: My History with Faith Communities
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Think about your own history with faith communities so you can model a response to the introductory question.
- Write these questions on newsprint, and post:
- What congregations or other faith communities have you been associated with during your life?
- Have you had connections or experience with other Unitarian Universalist congregations?
- How long have you been attending this congregation?
Description of Activity
Invite participants to introduce themselves and present a brief description of their own history with faith communities. Initiate the activity with these or similar words:
We had a chance to get to know each other a little bit in the last workshop. Since we're talking about history, we'd like to learn something of our personal histories with religious communities-Unitarian Universalist and others.
Call attention to the questions you have posted. Model the process for participants, encouraging brevity. Continue around the circle, reminding participants that pauses for thinking are fine. If participants begin providing more information than a simple response to the questions, remind them gently to keep their answers brief.