Activity 4: What Role Has Whiteness Played in Your Life?
Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 3, Serial Testimony Protocol
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Optional: Talking stick or other object for each small group
Preparation for Activity
- Read Leader Resource 3 and prepare to explain the serial testimony process to the group.
- Work with your co-leader to divide participants into reflection groups of about five people. Refer to the guidance provided in the Introduction for ensuring diverse points of view among each group.
- List the members of each group on newsprint, and post the list where all participants can see it.
Description of Activity
Using the information in Leader Resource 3, explain the serial testimony process. Ask participants to move into the groups you have assigned, explaining that you and your co-facilitator have chosen these groups to mix things up a bit and to ensure that a diversity of perspectives is represented in each group. Ask groups to use the serial testimony protocol to respond to this question: "What role has whiteness played in my life?" Explain that each person will have about four minutes to speak.
Allow about 20 minutes for the small-group discussions. Circulate through the room to monitor whether groups are following the serial testimony protocol, and offer help or guidance as needed.