Established in 1977, just as Bangor Naval Base was being built, Ground Zero Center for Nonviolent Action set forth this mission:
- Establish a Center for nonviolent action which seeks the goal of a world free from nuclear destruction and unjust division of humanity.
- Hold the land on which the Center is located in an environmentally sensitive and responsible manner.
- Develop at the Center for Nonviolent Action specific means toward a nuclear-free world which are based on the principle of truth in thought, word and action; the principle of unity of all beings; and the principle of transforming love in resistance to war and injustice.
- Explore at the Center strategies and tactics for nonviolent campaigns incorporating that end-means vision.
- Use the Center as a training site for participants in Nonviolent Action.
- Encourage and to foster at the Center a continual reflection on, and deepening in, a nonviolent way of life.