The Unitarian Universalist Association, believing that the religious community has a moral duty to express its judgments on the public issues of the day, pledges itself to a program aimed at:
- Alignment with other religious organizations to form an ethical consensus on securing peace in the world;
- Making a unified presentation of this consensus to the government and people
of the United States, vigorously urging:
- negotiations to end the war in Vietnam;
- United States endorsement of universal membership in the United Nations;
- United States leadership in restricting the international use of armed force to the United Nations.
- The use of military power as a tool of national policy is unconscionable; it is destructive to the most durable ethical teaching of every civilized people.
- The specter of modern warfare is so awful that men are now impelled to realize the ideal of human brotherhood as the sole alternative to extinction.
- Military force should be used only upon decision of a world community, and then only as a lastresort in the resolution of disputes.