Running by Petition for UUA Elected Positions
The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Bylaws provide for nomination of elected positions by two procedures:
Nomination by the Committee Petition: To run by petition the UUA bylaw 9.5 (b) states:
- For Moderator and President. A nomination for the office of Moderator or President, or to fill a vacancy in an unexpired term occurring prior to December 1 of the year before the election shall be by petition signed by no fewer than twenty-five certified member congregations, including no fewer than five certified member congregations located in each of no fewer than five different districts. A certified member congregation may authorize the signing of a petition only by vote of its governing board or by vote at a duly called meeting of its members. Such a petition shall be filed with the Secretary of the Association, only in such form as the Secretary may prescribe, not later than February 1 of the year of the election and not earlier than the preceding March 1. If no valid and timely nomination is made by certified member congregations, the Board of Trustees shall nominate one or more candidates for the office.
- For Other Elective Positions at Large. A nomination for any other elective position at large or to fill a vacancy in an unexpired term occurring prior to December 1 of the year before the election may be by petition signed by not less than fifty members of certified member congregations, with no more than ten signatures of members of any one congregation counted toward the required fifty. A separate petition, in form prescribed by the Secretary, shall be filed for each nomination not later than February 1 of the year of the election and not earlier than the preceding October 1. Nominations for trustee at large from Canada and youth trustee at large shall be so designated.
To run by petition a candidate must:
- Be a voting member of a Unitarian Universalist (UU) congregation.
- Secure signatures of at least 50 members of certified UU congregations with no more than 10 from any single congregation.
- File requisite papers with the UUA Secretary by February 1 of an election year.
If you any questions or require additional information, contact the Nominating Committee, nominating [at] uua [dot] org.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.