Songbooks and Hymnals for Unitarian Universalist Congregations
The Unitarian Universalist Association publishes one hymnal—Singing the Living Tradition (STLT)—and two supplements, Singing the Journey (STJ) and Las Voces del Camino (VDC). Additionally, the book Between the Lines provides background information about the songs and readings found in Singing the Living Tradition, and the Singing the Journey website has a wealth of information about that book. Some congregations like using the multigenerational songbook Come, Sing a Song With Me that includes twenty-five of the most popular and accessible songs from the two hymnals in an easy to use format.
Additionally, there are other songbooks and hymnals that are in use in many of our congregations, each with its own particular usefulness.
- Bible Songs on Timeless Themes, ed. by Eugene Navias. 38 Bible songs, spirituals, rounds, hymns, and chants from different cultures and musical styles
- Celebrating Unitarian Universalism: original songs for UU children's choirs, by Joe Schafer (kstrawser [at] usuuc [dot] org). 10 fun songs, with piano accompaniment
- A Time For Singing, by Joe Schafer (kstrawser [at] usuuc [dot] org). 13 songs about peace and justice, religious freedom, Christmas, and spring/flower communion.
- Making Music: original songs for UU children’s choirs by Joe Schafer, West Shore UU Church, Cleveland OH (kstrawser [at] usuuc [dot] org). 15 songs, with piano accompaniment.
- Chalice songs, responses, benedictions and hymns: a musical offering, by Tom Benjamin (tben2 [at] comcast [dot] net). 31 songs with piano accompaniment.
- Come Sing a Song With Me: a songbook for all ages. UU Musicians Network. 25 songs from STLT and STJ in simple arrangements.
- Earth and Spirit Songbook 1: an anthology of songs celebrating earth and peace, compiled and edited by Jim Scott. Over 100 songs, with chords and piano accompaniment.
- Hymns to Jazz: arrangements of popular hymn tunes in jazz/gospel/world folk styles, by Jim Scott. 12 selections, most with piano accompaniment.
- Sing Your Peace Songbook, UU Peace Network: 39 easy songs for congregations, most have piano accompaniment and guitar chords.
- In The Garden of The Beloved: anthems, chants, songs, zikrs from Christian, Buddhist, Hawaiian, Hindu, Muslim and Sufi traditions, by Sangeet Gellhorn. 22 songs; most have chords, some have piano accompaniment.
- Let Your Heart Sing: joyous songs for UU congregational singing, produced by Joyce Poley and Frank Henning, 1991. Vol.1: 15 songs, Vol.2: 12 songs with chords
- Oh Yes We Come (and other choir/congregational songs) by Joyce Poley. Songstyle Music.
- May This Light Shine: a songbook for children and youth. UU Musicians Network. 30 songs for children and intergenerational singing, with chords and piano accompaniment.
- Responses: a collection of introits, responses and benedictions for UU congregations and choirs, by Tom Benjamin (tben2 [at] comcast [dot] net). 62 short songs, some have piano accompaniment.
- Nine New Responses for UU Choirs, by Tom Benjamin (tben2 [at] comcast [dot] net).
- Benedictions for UU Congregations, by Tom Benjamin (tben2 [at] comcast [dot] net).
- Commitment to a Vision, Vols. 1-4, by Mary Grigolia. 146 songs for personal or group singing. Most have guitar chords, many have piano accompaniment.
- Grigolian Rounds: original rounds, by Mary Grigolia. 34 original rounds for individuals and small groups, meditation, healing, and spiritual up-lift.
- Voices from the Path: original songs by Mary Grigolia. 14 songs for small and large group singing.
- Songs for Growing Souls, by Mary Grigolia. 13 songs for children of all ages, intergenerational choirs, small groups, and family singing.
- Spirit Song: original songs by Mary Grigolia. 31 songs for meditation, healing, or a spiritual pick-up.
- Choral Responses Unitarian Universalist Musicians Network. 1995. Tunes and lyrics for openings, chalice lightings, prayers and closings. 45 in all.
- Songs of Grace by Grace Lewis-McLaren (6mainer6 [at] suscom-maine [dot] net). 21 songs for UU congregations, with piano accompaniment.
- Songs for Earthlings, edited by Julie Middleton. 400+ songs, chants, rounds and hymns celebrating Earth and all of us who hang out here on a regular (or not...) basis.
- A Winter Solstice Singing Ritual, by Julie Middleton. A complete ritual: narration, readings, 15 songs and chants, a CD of all of the music (in performance and with teaching tracks), and 30 pages on how to put it on
- This Little Light: arrangements, choral anthems and congregational music, by Jason Shelton. 33 songs, most have piano accompaniment.
- Vocal Descants for use with Singing the Living Tradition, by Edward T.Schell III.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.