Running by Petition
The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Bylaws provide for nomination of elected positions by two procedures:
Nomination by the Committee Petition: To run by petition the UUA bylaw 9.5 (b) states:
- For Moderator and President. A nomination for the office of Moderator or President, or to fill a vacancy in an unexpired term occurring prior to December 1 of the year before the election shall be by petition signed by no fewer than twenty-five certified member congregations, including no fewer than five certified member congregations located in each of no fewer than five different districts. A certified member congregation may authorize the signing of a petition only by vote of its governing board or by vote at a duly called meeting of its members. Such a petition shall be filed with the Secretary of the Association, only in such form as the Secretary may prescribe, not later than February 1 of the year of the election and not earlier than the preceding March 1. If no valid and timely nomination is made by certified member congregations, the Board of Trustees shall nominate one or more candidates for the office.
- For Other Elective Positions at Large. A nomination for any other elective position at large or to fill a vacancy in an unexpired term occurring prior to December 1 of the year before the election may be by petition signed by not less than fifty members of certified member congregations, with no more than ten signatures of members of any one congregation counted toward the required fifty. A separate petition, in form prescribed by the Secretary, shall be filed for each nomination not later than February 1 of the year of the election and not earlier than the preceding October 1. Nominations for trustee at large from Canada and youth trustee at large shall be so designated.
To run by petition a candidate must:
- Be a voting member of a Unitarian Universalist (UU) congregation.
- Secure signatures of at least 50 members of certified UU congregations with no more than 10 from any single congregation. For each nomination print and complete a Nomination by Petition form:
Secretary of the UUA
c/o Nancy Lawrence
25 Beacon St.
Boston MA, 02108
- File requisite papers with the UUA Secretary by February 1 of an election year.
If you any questions or require additional information contact Nancy Lawrence, administration @ uua.org.
For more information contact administration @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, November 21, 2012.
- UUA Governance Manual
- General Assembly
- Appointments Committee
- Board of Review
- Commission on Appraisal
- Commission on Social Witness
- Congregational Properties/Loan
- Cross-Cultural Engagement
- Election Campaign Practices
- Fund for a Just Society
- Fund for International UUism
- Fund for UUism
- Fund for UU Social Responsibility
- GA Planning
- Health Plan
- Journey Toward Wholeness Transformation
- Melcher Book Award
- Ministerial Fellowship
- Music Leadership Credentialing Committee
- Off-site GA
- Open UUA
- Presidential Search Committee
- Theological Education
- Retirement Plan
- Regional Sub-Committees on Candidacy
- RE Credentialing
- Socially Responsible Investing
- Youth Ministry Advisory Committee
- District Presidents
- GA Presentations
- Leadership Council