Beloved Community Resources
Beloved Community is an ancient story already alive in our hearts and bones when we are born. It is passed down to us through our ancestors. It is not a story we “make up” but a story we “re-member.” It is the story of our brilliance, our beauty, our power, our giftedness. Ours and each others. Ours and other earth creatures. Ours and the elements. This brilliance, this beauty, this power, this giftedness is alive in everything.
Beloved Community is honored and lived into when:
- we make covenant together and live that covenant faithfully and joyfully.
- we participate with each other through experiences of loss, longing, pain, joy and wonder;
- we share the truth about our lives and know that our truth is heard and understood;
- we receive each person as a gift from Spirit and make a place for them;
- we give expression to our feelings and gratefully receive others’ expression of theirs;
- we assume wholeness even in the midst of brokenness;
- we carefully work through knots of confusion and disagreement in order to learn what we can never know alone;
We experience Beloved Community whenever and wherever individuals, groups and institutions choose connection, individuality, creativity and mindfulness over separation, individualism, destruction and denial. Beloved Community rests in the awareness that—all evidence to the contrary—we belong to one another.
- Aspirational Covenant by Rev. Alice Blair Wesley
- Behavioral Covenant
- Small Group Ministry Justice
- Suggested Reading List
- The Practice of Mindful Meetings
- Stewarding Beloved Community—YouTube Video