Fundraising Ideas for Congregations
Raising Money to Send Delegates to General Assembly (GA)
Suggestions for Auctions, Raffles, and Bake Sale Events and Fund Drives
If your congregation doesn’t usually pay delegate expenses, here are some ways to raise the money to do so.
- A sermon topic
- A worship service focus
- Lunch with the Minister, the Director of Religious Education, the Music Director, the Administrator, or the Board President
- Musical performances (choir, instrumental concert, sing-along)
- Pageant, play, or talent show
- Bake sale
- Car wash
- Circle suppers
- Sponsored weight loss or smoking cessation
- Donated massages
- A class in organic gardening
- Six conversational sessions in a language other than English
- The services of a handyperson
- Babysitting services
- Mending and clothing repair service
- A portrait photograph
- Dinner for Four (catered or frozen)
- Donated “Bread of the Month”
- A knitted or crocheted “GA afghan”
- A wall hanging to celebrate your congregation
- Artworks on “What it means to be a Unitarian Universalist” created by children and youth in the RE program
- Knitted scarves, hats and mittens
- Donated books, CDs and DVDs
- Divide the estimated cost of attendance by the number of adults in your congregation, and ask every adult to donate that amount to the fund.
- Ask people to donate Frequent Flyers miles to get delegates to GA.
- Ask a group of major donors to match contributions made to the fund or to contribute a fixed amount, like $500.
- Put a “GA delegates fund” box next to the refreshments you serve after worship, and ask people to drop paper currency into the box every time they take a cup of coffee or a snack.
- Ask people to bring loose change to drop into a “GA delegates fund” jar. Children and youth in the religious education program can count the money and report progress toward the goal of supporting all the delegates your congregation can send to General Assembly.
Obviously, every idea won't be a good match for every congregation. If your congregation has an idea that works, please share it with us so we can add it to the above list of ideas.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.