The UU Organizations Retirement Plan
Changes are coming to the Unitarian Universalist (UU) Organizations Retirement Plan (the Plan)—as early as January 1, 2014. The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Retirement Plan Committee is about to complete work on a comprehensive rewrite of the underlying plan document. Before doing so, the Retirement Plan Committee is inviting feedback on the proposed changes from participating congregations and other UUA-related employers. See more information, including how to comment, below.
In rewriting the Plan, the Retirement Plan committee has sought to:
- Update Plan provisions to reflect "best practices" in the changing defined contribution environment,
- Offer congregations and other participating employers greater flexibility in designing the retirement benefits offered their employees,
- Encourage participants to contribute more toward their eventual retirement, and
- Ensure Plan compliance with changes in federal law and regulations.
- Executive Summary of Proposed Changes (PDF, 2 pages)
- Invitation to Comment (PDF, 5 pages)
- Current Plan (PDF, 50 pages)
- Proposed Plan Restatement (PDF, 47 pages)
To comment by Wednesday, June 12, 2013, email: jstewart @ uua.org, or fax (617) 742-2875, or mail:
UUA Retirement Plan Committee
c/o Joyce Stewart
25 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02108
The Unitarian Universalist (UU) Organizations Retirement Plan enables congregations, districts, the national association, and other UU organizations to put our faith’s commitment to social justice into practice by helping to ensure that the employees of UU institutions have adequate funds for their retirement years. Congregations, districts, and other UU organizations are eligible to enroll in the Plan. Participating employers are able to make tax-sheltered contributions for eligible staff members to an IRS qualified 401(a)/401(k) defined contribution retirement plan managed by TIAA-CREF.
Participants may call the toll-free line (800) 842-2829 which is dedicated to our plan at TIAA-CREF’s National Contact Center. Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. (ET) and Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (ET)
Participants may log into their existing account at the dedicated website TIAA CREF Financial Services.
For Prospective Plan Participants
- Are you eligible for the UU Organizations Retirement Plan?
- Learn about your investment options.
- Learn how the plan is administered.
- Enroll in the plan.
For Plan Participants
- Are you making contributions to your retirement plan?
- Need a loan from your plan?
- Want to set up a withdrawal from your plan?
- What are the tax considerations for your plan?
- Are you a transitioning minister?
- Are you nearing your retirement date?
- Do you need additional resources to better understand retirement plans?
For more information contact ocsf @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Friday, May 10, 2013.
- Job Openings
- Congregational Staff & Volunteers
- Benefit Plans & Compensation
- Billing for Insurance Plans
- Insurance and Employee Changes
- Transitioning Benefits
- UUA Health Plan
- Group Insurance
- Fair Compensation
- Finances/ Taxes
- Ministerial Aid Funds
- Music Leadership
- Religious Educators
- One and One E-News