Our Whole Lives (OWL) Teacher Trainings in the New England Region
Our Whole Lives (OWL) Facilitator Trainings are intended to equip individuals to lead OWL programs in their community. OWL Facilitators are required to be 25 years of age or older to teach in Unitarian Universalist congregational settings.
Regional staff works hard to ensure that we meet the demand for OWL facilitator trainings for all age and grade levels. However, some grade/age levels are much more in demand than others. Consequently, the OWL trainings offered by the New England Region UUA reflect the demand as we know it.
OWL Facilitator Trainings for 2017-2018
Registration is open for the following trainings:
- October 13-15, 2017, Young Adult and Adult Levels
- November 10-12, 2017, Elementary Grade Levels K-1 and 4-6
- January 26-28, 2018, Grade Levels 7-9 and 10-12
- February 2-4, 2018, Grade Levels 7-9 and 10-12
- April 20-22, 2018, Grade Levels 7-9 and 10-12
- OWL Facilitator Trainings are also held in other regions across the US year round.
Participants in the OWL Facilitator Training should bring their own copies of three books for the age and grade level(s) they will be teaching:
- Our Whole Lives curriculum (K-1st Grade and/or 4th-6th Grade) (7th to 9th Grade and/or 10th to 12th Grade) (Young Adult and/or Adult Level)
- the corresponding companion book Sexuality and Our Faith (K-1st Grade and/or 4th-6th Grade) (7th to 9th Grade and/or 10th to 12th Grade) (Young Adult and/or Adult Level)
- Advocacy Manual for Sexuality Education, Health, and Justice (used for all levels)
If you do not already have a copy of the curriculum books, check with your religious education professional before ordering copies from the inSpirit: UU Book and Gift Shop. Note, if you have a team of people coming from the same congregation, you are welcome to share copies of the curriculum. It is not necessary for each person on your team to have their own copy. Contact the regional office, newengland [at] uua [dot] org to borrow books for the training.
Our fee of $400 includes instruction, room and board. The fee is the same whether participants stay on site overnight or not. Participants are responsible for acquiring their own curriculum books.
- Cancelation prior to the registration deadline will be subject to a $25 handling fee.
- Cancelations made after the registration deadline but a week or more before the training will be subject to a $150 fee, unless a replacement is arranged.
- Refunds for cancelations made within the week prior to the training will be given only under emergency circumstances and at the discretion of the regional staff. There is no penalty for finding someone to replace you if you cannot come.
All registrants are required to be present for the complete training. We have found that coming late and leaving early is disruptive to the group building process and can hinder work that is to be done in small groups. We therefore advise participants to stay overnight if they can, though this is not required. A basic outline for the training schedule is as follows:
- 5:15 PM to 6:00 PM - check in
- 6:00 to 6:30 PM - dinner
- 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM - training
Saturday: 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM - training with breaks for refreshments and meals
Sunday: 8:45 AM to 3:00 PM - training with breaks for refreshments and meals
Most of our OWL trainings are held at the Walker Center for Ecumenical Exchange at 171 Grove Street, Auburndale, Massachusetts 02466.
Most guest rooms accommodate two people. A few accommodate three. Bedding and towels are provided. Guests are asked to bring their own soap and shampoo. If you would like a single room, please make a request and let us know if you have a special need associated with that. Though we cannot guarantee availability, we do everything we can to accommodate people with special requirements for a single room.
Walker Center provides directions using various modes of travel. If you are coming from Logan Airport by Public Transportation, we recommend the following directions. Count on needing 60 to 75 minutes for this part of the trip.
- Take the Massport Shuttle located from your terminal to the Airport Subway Station on the Blue Line.
- Take the Blue Line toward Bowdoin and get out at Government Center.
- Transfer to the Green Line (D).
- Take the Green Line (D) to its end at Riverside.
- At Riverside, get off the train and walk across the parking lot to the street. This is Grove Street.
- Turn left and walk up Grove Street to the Walker Center (about 10 minutes).
Read the OWL fequently asked questions or contact newengland [at] uua [dot] org, (617) 948-6415.