Faith In Action: Film and Discussion
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- The PBS American Experience documentary Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple, either on DVD or online at Top Documentary Film
- DVD player and monitor, or a computer with Internet connection, projector, and screen
- Optional: A copy of the discussion questions from Activity 1
Preparation for Activity
- Preview the film to ensure it is appropriate for the youth in the group.
- Check the congregational calendar and consult congregational leaders, as needed, to decide on a date, time, and place to show the film.
- Advertise the event, making sure to include information about the film's age-appropriateness.
- Test any equipment you will be using.
- Optional: Make copies of an interesting PBS article on race and Jonestown for participants, or plan to give them the URL in advance so they can read it online.
Description of Activity
Youth host a film discussion group.
Introduce the film to the viewers. Show the film.
Afterward, discuss the film. You might process the story by using some of the questions you posed in Activity 1.
Including All Participants
Make sure the room you choose for showing the film is accessible to all participants. If possible, arrange for closed-captioning or use the subtitles feature to assist any participants with hearing impairments.
For more information contact email@example.com.